CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

FINALLY!!!!



I'm back with a recipe I think you will enjoy. There are several reasons for the delay since the last post. We have made some changes in our eating habits and it has taken me a little while to get accustomed to our new routine, but mostly I was just in a cooking rut.

So, I was happy to find this recipe from the crockpot lady, AKA Stephanie, and realize that with all of our changes, I could make this one work. I hope you will let me know if you try it and tell me how you like this.

Hoppin' John Soup:

4 cups chicken broth
1 lb. turkey sausage
1 lb. dried black eyed peas
2 15oz. cans low sodium turnip greens
1 can Rotel
1 boil in bag brown rice

Soak your black eyed peas overnight in some water. The next morning, drain and rinse them. Add them to the crockpot. Pour your cans of low sodium turnip greens over the peas. Top them with your can of Rotel. Thinly slice the turkey sausage and place the slices over the top of the tomatoes. Pour 4 cups of chicken broth over the top of this. Cover and cook on low 12 hours. About an hour before serving, boil your brown rice and stir it into the soup. The longer your dish cooks, the more flavor it will develop and softer the peas will be. I really thought this was actually tastier the next day. It serves 8-10 people. Leftovers can be frozen easily.

No comments:

Questions? Comments? Have a recipe to share? E-mail me!

myrecipecorner@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin