CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Return of Cold Weather Comfort Food



I LOVE cold weather, and since it has made its return around here, I decided to embrace it by making this fabulous soup that comes from 365crockpot. I also saw it on Sister's Cafe. I really like tomato soup, but this was unlike any I have ever tried. Hesitation set in as I began to make this, but in the end, even hubby liked it too! Try it, and I think you will like it just as much as we did. I was so excited to make this as I have seen lots of good reviews for it all over the blogosphere. Though I made a few minor changes, you can't go wrong with this recipe. Can't wait to hear back from you once you make this.



Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup:


2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup finely diced onions
1/2 bay leaf (I had to leave this out and it worked just fine.)
1 tsp dried oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
1 Tbsp dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups fat free half and half, warmed
1 tsp salt (I also left this out.)
1/2 tsp black pepper

In the slow cooker, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil (if using fresh oregano and basil; if using dried oregano and basil add those two ingredients in the last hour of cook time). Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.

An hour before serving, prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5 to 7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup from the slow cooker. Add another 3 cups soup and stir until smooth.

Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

This recipe will be linked to Mommy's Kitchen for Potluck Sunday.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Sounds perfect and so easy!

Rebekah @ www.kidsdoeathealthy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great recipe--I love tomatoes and basil!

Questions? Comments? Have a recipe to share? E-mail me!

myrecipecorner@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin